2019 We Matter Week touched the lives of so many students within the Owasso / Collinsville communities. Some of the week's activities included...
- QPR suicide prevention training - QPR means Question, Persuade and Refer, an emergency mental health training intervention that teaches lay and professional gatekeepers to recognize and respond positively to someone exhibiting suicidal warning signs and behaviors. Anyone can take a basic QPR class to learn how to “Ask a Question, Save a Life”.
- Distribution of We Matter t-shirts and posters.
- We Matter t-shirt toss at the football games.
- Daily “We Matter” announcements and social media sharing.
- “We Matter” chalk quotes on sidewalks.
- Students shared testimonies and messages of hope.
- Students wrote “tickets” of kindness and left them on cars.
- Students wore their We Matter t-shirts or purple during the week.
- Elementary students read “What Does It Mean to be Kind?” by Rana DiOrio, to understand what being kind looks and feels like.
- Megan Brillhart, Magalassi Foundation Youth Board Member and freshman at Tulsa Community College, spoke to her freshman speech class upon the topic of suicide prevention.
- Sarah Goran, former Magalassi Foundation Youth Board Member and Tulsa University student, continued to make a positive impact and spread the message of “We Matter” at the TU campus.
- Michele Magalassi had the honor of speaking to Rejoice Christian School students, sharing my family’s story about our son, Brandon, and how the Magalassi Foundation was established.
We Matter Week is our tribute to Suicide Prevention Awareness Week using social media to bring awareness to all, reminding us to take the time each day to let those around us know how much their lives matter.
We encourage you to browse through our pictures. There has been so much compassion and love through all of the We Matter posts.
You matter! Brighten someone’s day today and let them know that they matter too!
Let's keep the message going on We Matter Wednesdays! Join us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
I MATTER, YOU MATTER, WE MATTER!